Cambridgeshire and Peterborough is among the first areas in the country to set up a dedicated team to proactively remove the barriers to the rapid delivery of a future proof digital connectivity infrastructure.
Launched in July 2018, the Enabling Digital Delivery (EDD) team is supporting our plans for full fibre networks and next generation mobile coverage across the region by making best use of public sector assets and attracting private sector investment.
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority is funding the EDD team within the Connecting Cambridgeshire Programme, which is led by Cambridgeshire County Council.
Working with Government, local authority teams, network providers and telecoms operators, the EDD team is:
- Providing a central contact point and setting up an Enquiries Register to ensure the management of ‘real time’ issues affecting infrastructure delivery.
- Taking action to investigate, progress and resolve issues such as wayleaves, streetworks and permits, infrastructure problems and planning.
- Actively liaising with network providers and Cambridgeshire County Council’s Streetworks team to test the Department for Culture, Media and Sport’s Streetworks Toolkit.
- Making best use of assets available to support fibre networks including the University of Cambridge Granta Backbone Network, a 40km duct and fibre network throughout Cambridge, negating the need to complete civils work in the historic city centre.
- Spearheading new policy for all Cambridgeshire County Council’s major infrastructure projects (roads, footpaths, cycleways etc) making it an automatic requirement to include fibre ducting in the design, build and budget, and incorporated by partner agencies.
- Working across local authority boundaries to reviewing existing processes and procedures that can impact on the rapid deployment of future facing digital technologies.
- Collaborating with providers, including CityFibre, Cambridge Fibre Networks, Hyperoptic, Openreach, Virgin Media and other altnets at every opportunity to understand their plans and drive investment in the region.
To find out more, contact the EDD team on 01223 703293, or email firstname.lastname@example.org