How to get superfast broadband
Connecting Cambridgeshire is improving the broadband infrastructure to bring access to superfast broadband to as many homes and businesses as possible.
Thousands of premises that could not get it before can now choose to upgrade to faster Internet services – but it’s not automatic – so it’s up to you to find the best broadband package for your needs.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Find out if fibre broadband is available in your area
- Use an independent broadband availability checker such as www.SamKnows.com, or simply ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if you can upgrade to a fibre broadband package within your current contract.
- You can also visit your ‘my area’ page using the A-Z on our website to see the latest rollout update for your parish area.
2. Check if you can upgrade or switch to get fibre broadband
- You can choose to switch broadband providers to upgrade to fibre if you’re not tied in to a contract. It’s best to check a range of ISPs as not all offer fibre services in every area.
- Shop around for the best fibre broadband package for your needs, and perhaps ask your neighbours who they use. Try a few comparison websites as they may not list every available ISP and may offer different deals.
- Connecting Cambridgeshire cannot advise on the best broadband package for you, or which Internet Service Provider (ISP) you should sign up with. Read our Broadband Guide for more useful information.
3. Look at your options if you can’t get faster broadband
It’s going to take a bit longer to reach some areas and we’re working on follow-on phases of the broadband rollout to bring superfast broadband to as many places as possible – using the latest technology to address connectivity issues.
- Some premises may be too far away from the fibre cabinet they are served by to receive superfast speeds, or may be directly connected to the Exchange on copper lines, so cannot upgrade to fibre broadband at present.
- Keeping checking your ‘my area’ page on the website for the latest information and timescales.
- Look at your options – there may be another solution using alternative technologies such as satellite and wireless. Find out more on our Other Technologies page.
- If you’ve done all these checks and believe you should be able to get fibre broadband, but are unable to upgrade, contact us and we will be happy to help.