How to get superfast broadband
Connecting Cambridgeshire is improving the broadband infrastructure to bring access to superfast broadband to as many homes and businesses as possible.
Thousands of premises that could not get it before can now choose to upgrade to faster Internet services – but it’s not automatic – so it’s up to you to find the best broadband package for your needs.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Check if superfast broadband is available – or planned – in your area
- Use our postcode checker to see if superfast broadband is already available in your postcode area, or if there are plans to provide it in follow-on phases of the rollout.
- Once you have viewed the status of the rollout in your postcode area, you can either move to Step 2 to check if you can upgrade to fibre broadband, or Step 3 to consider other options.
- If you are covered commercially you can check the main providers’ websites;
- You can also use the Openreach Postcode Checker to see the progress of the fibre rollout in your area.
- Register your contact details here so we can update you when fibre broadband is available to order in your area
2. Check if you can upgrade or switch to get fibre broadband
- Ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if you can upgrade to a fibre broadband package within your current contract, or use an independent broadband comparison site such as www.SamKnows.com or Thinkbroadband
- You can choose to switch broadband providers to upgrade to fibre if you’re not tied in to a contract. It’s best to check a range of ISPs as not all offer fibre services in every area.
- Shop around for the best fibre broadband package for your needs, and perhaps ask your neighbours who they use. Try a few comparison websites as they may not list every available ISP and may offer different deals.
- The programme is using a range of solutions including Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) technology. You can choose the fibre services package and speeds you need, regardless of the technology.
- Connecting Cambridgeshire cannot advise on the best broadband package for you, or which Internet Service Provider (ISP) you should sign up with. Read our Broadband Guide for more useful information.
3. Look at your options if you can’t get faster broadband yet
It’s going to take a bit longer to reach some areas and we’re working on follow-on phases of the broadband rollout to bring superfast broadband to as many places as possible – using the latest technology to address connectivity issues.
- Some premises may be too far away from the fibre cabinet they are served by to receive superfast speeds, or may be directly connected to the Exchange on copper lines, so cannot upgrade to fibre broadband at present.
- The data for the postcode checker will be updated regularly as the fibre broadband rollout progresses through further phases, so look out for changes in the status of your postcode area.
- Look at your options – there may be other solutions for residents interested in helping their communities to get better broadband speeds sooner, or using alternative technologies such as satellite and wireless. Find out more on our Other Technologies page.
- If you’ve done all these checks and believe you should be able to get fibre broadband, but are unable to upgrade, contact us and we will be happy to help.
- Householders and businesses, who want superfast broadband but cannot access it yet, are being asked to complete a short online Broadband Demand Survey by February 2018. Please complete the survey as soon as possible, so that we are able to show prospective suppliers the strength of demand for better speeds.